*SPOILER ALERT* Read the post below to find out why the title choice of those 2004 Gwen Stefani lyrics goes absolutely perfectly.
In my last post I made a slight mention about stopping at Wegmans to grab supplies for a dessert to make to bring to my family reunion. Once a year, my super extended family gets together to have an all day reunion / BBQ at a local town park. Since I am now of the appropriate age, aka not at the age to be bouncing on the bounce house or participating in the children’s activities, I could partake in bringing my own dessert.
Knowing me, you know I strive for simplicity. I am not, by any means, the greatest cook, or the greatest baker, so simplicity tends to be key for me. It’s not so much the lazy-factor, but the the-less-ingredients-involved-the-less-likely-I-am-to-mess-this-up factor. So, surprise, surprise I made my way over to trusty ol’ Pinterest and dove into finding a nice and easy summer BBQ dessert. The options were absolutely endless and I was forced to choose from a list of millions of mouthwatering recipes. After some deliberation, I landed amongst a Banana Split Fluff Salad.
When I tell you this was the easiest thing ever to make, this was literally the easiest thing ever to make. And it was delicious. Not only that, but it was a hit with everyone [my grandma had even eaten it for breakfast!].
I prepared the dessert the night before, letting it chill and settle in the fridge. I did not, however, add in the bananas until the next morning, as I did not want them to get mushy and brown. I also did not add the walnuts to this recipe due to my dad’s nut allergy. I also doubled the recipe, as it said it only makes 8 cups. But, let me tell you, it was way more generous than I expected, so plan accordingly!
You can find the recipe for this dessert below:
Banana Split Fluff Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 1 – 3.4 ounce box instant banana pudding
- 1 – 20 ounce can crushed pineapple [do not drain]
- 1 – 8 ounce container Cool Whip
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts + 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 – 10 ounce jars maraschino cherries, halved
- Stir together the pudding mix and pineapple until dissolved and thickened.
- Fold in the Cool Whip with a spatula.
- Gently stir in the marshmallows, nuts, chocolate chips, bananas, and cherries.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour to chill.
- Stir in the bananas right before serving, or dip the banana slices in lemon juice to keep them from browning too quickly.
- The recipe states this will make about 8 cups of salad – I got way more than 8 cups. It is very generous!