I have succumb to the winter blues.
March in the 716 really isn’t the best, and it really doesn’t do our area code bubble any justice. I am one of those people who longs for spring; it’s my favorite season – one where it’s not too hot and not too cold – and I wish we had more of it. Buffalo winter, especially, drags on well into the end of March, and I am often left thinking, where is this lamb everyone talks about?
No matter how much I try to run from it, I just can’t hide it anymore. I blame these blues solely on the fact that we have a week or so of borderline shorts weather, followed by weeks of freezing cold, snowy weather. I’ve gone in and out of being sick for what seems like months now with the addition of headaches and migraines thanks to the wacky weather changes. I don’t know why I complain, though, because it’s something that I am so used to. This weather happens every year [thanks Buffalo], so naturally this slump tends to happen every year around this time. I hit these ruts where I don’t want to do much other than stay in the house and do nothing – partly because it’s freezing, partly because I feel uninspired trying to find things to do. I mean, there’s only so many times you can go to Target, right? It’s the little ruts like these, though, that almost make me appreciate my loved ones even more because they are always ready and willing to find new adventures to go on.
For example, I went from having zero plans this weekend to having a jam-packed, adventure-filled weekend in the blink of an eye. Saturday, I went to the Buffalo Sabres versus Vegas Golden Knights game in the afternoon, with a first-time trip to Buffalo Iron Works before the game courtesy of my Dad. Sunday, I had another Buffalo-filled day with an afternoon-long trip to the Buffalo Science Museum, lunch, a quick [non-Buffalo related] trip to Target, and dinner courtesy of Wegmans. On a weekend I wasn’t really looking forward to, I now have memories that fill my mind thanks to my family and my boyfriend getting me excited to be up and out of the house. Something as little as grocery shopping can be enough to get you the jolt of energy you need.
So, as we all patiently await the arrival of the lamb, may we stand up to the lion and conquer it. xoxo.
Good morning, lovelies.
Today is the day I have been looking forward to all week – a day off! Learning of the weather we would be experiencing today, I have been so excited to do absolutely nothing but curl into a blanket on the couch with a hot cup of coffee, catch up on some shows, do some homework, you know the deal. I have been exponentially cold all week, so the information of having morning temperatures be around 7 degrees just was not tickling my fancy today [and I am so thankful I am not out in it having to get kids off the bus!].
So, naturally, it was not too much to my surprise that I woke up to snow this morning! Yes, you read that right.. Buffalo’s first snowfall of the season. Surprisingly enough, I am not the biggest fan of snow, something so unnatural for where I live. However, I must say that looking up from this post out my window, seeing that light snow falling from the sky, it does look pretty.
While it is not a lot of snow, and it is kind-of-not-really sticking to the ground, it’s enough to constitute it as our first snow. So, to everyone off observing Veteran’s Day, I hope today finds you extra cozy and full of [early] holiday cheer. xoxo.
P.S. – Yes, I am wearing Crocs. Don’t shame me!
Well, it happened. Winter storm Stella hit Western New York. Both my university and the school that I work at were on the list of 430+ closed for a snow day *yikes*. I knew before I went to bed last night so, thankfully, I got to sleep in a little bit this morning! When I woke up, I did not expect it to be bad but let me tell you, it has not stopped snowing. I mean, this is literally what I see right now:
So, with no stopping in sight anytime soon for us peeps being hit by this storm, here’s a few things you can do to cure your boredom!
- Binge watch Netflix or Hulu. Today, I actually got to catch up on some of my shows! And in a big way! I was able to watch the entire new second season of the Netflix original, Love. I also made some major progress on my newest obsession, The Mindy Project, on Hulu. There is nothing better [at least to me] than cozying up on the couch with a bunch of blankets and a hot cup of coffee.
- Complete, or get ahead, on assignments. In grad school, I constantly find myself ‘behind’ on my work. I use the term behind very loosely because I am never actually behind, it just feels that way because of all the work that constantly gets piled on day in and day out. Take a day like today with no interruptions and crank out some A+ work! And if you’re all caught up, nothing better than getting ahead!
- Organize. It seems like the only time I ever get the motivation to organize my makeup, my clothes, or my room in general, is when I am absolutely bored out of my skull. Use this time wisely!
- Online shopping. If you got it, flaunt it. Money, that is. Why not take some of this extra time to treat yourself?! You’ve been working hard. Maybe it’s time you actually bought yourself that top or that eyeshadow palette you’ve been swooning over for weeks! And a major perk of online shopping, you don’t even have to leave the warmth of your own bed!
- Bake something sweet or cook a nice dinner. If your significant other, roommate, or BFF wasn’t one of the lucky ones to have today off, I’m sure walking into a nice treat like a hot home cooked meal, or a delicious dessert will perk them up after trekking through the snow all day!
What are some ways you cure your boredom on days like today?! xoxo.
P.S. Anyone at work, out and about, traveling, etc. today, please stay safe!
So, unless you have been living under a rock, you probably have heard about this gnarly snow storm about to hit the Northeastern U.S. Well, of course, this is where I live. And, of course, of course, I am not happy about it.
Living in Western New York, I should be happy that this is the first major warning we’ve gotten this year. It took until now for this 12′-18′ winter storm warning crap to hit us when, usually, we’re about a handful of winter storms into the season by mid-March. But, I am spoiled. So, again, I am not happy.
I ran to Wegmans today to grab a couple things and people were stocking up on groceries like the zombie apocalypse was ahead of us. It always makes me laugh because people always prepare for terrible weather around here and it ends up being completely blown out of proportion and we get 0.00008 inches of snow or rain or etc.
Tomorrow I have an 11 hour work day ahead of me, so I will be inside for the majority of this alleged storm. But, I would much rather be in my bed wrapped in a blanket, watching Netflix. [HOWEVER, perks of my new job: I could have a snow day!].
Hopefully all these weathermen and women are wrong and it will be 65 and sunny tomorrow. Cross your fingers. xoxo.