I am currently 6 hours away from submitting my final, final paper and putting this spring semester to an end. [My paper is done, just not sent yet, hence finding time to write this]. The last 15 weeks have definitely pushed me to my limits, that’s for sure. Prior to this semester even starting, my advisor sent me some major SOS vibes, saying this would be the hardest semester of grad school I would have to endure. No shock to anyone, he was not wrong.
This last week alone between final exams, final papers, cumulative assignments, reflections on top of my friend dying and me being sick… I mean, if you ask me how I made it out in one piece, I don’t have the answer for you, because I do not know myself how I made it through. To those of you who have seen me in person *shudders*, yes I look like I have been dragged 87,000 feet by a semi truck and then run over a few times. To those of you who have not seen me in person, count your blessings.
To all the college kiddos out there, going for a Bachelor’s, Masters, Ph.D., whatever it may be, you know the struggle. You aren’t alone in this, and neither am I. With that being said, here are some finals week survival tips, from a girl who has gone through more finals weeks than she can count on her two hands.
- Coffee will be your best friend. My brother says to me every single day, “Next year when I go to college, there’s no way I’m drinking coffee.” Newsflash buddy, you’re wrong. It will happen. You will become a walking zombie just like the rest of us, coffee IV in tow.
- Sleep is necessary, even if it’s for 45 minutes. All-nighters: a college student’s best friend and worst enemy. I, myself, find I power through the hardest and get the most work done late at night, mostly running on adrenaline of course, but it’s true. No matter how long I want to keep going though, it’s essential that I sleep. Nobody likes dealing with a cranky person first thing in the morning.
- You will think all of your final exams or assignments are the stupidest assignments ever. Just today, I have said this probably 18 times. I don’t know whether it’s because I get so anxious to be done, or if it’s because the assignments and study guides are actually stupid, but it gets said. Newsflash: nobody wants to write a 10 page reflection on how you thought the last fifteen weeks in one class went.
- It is okay to leave the house looking like a wreck. Whether it is going to the library to study, running to Starbucks to grab a coffee, or going to the last few classes of the semester, nobody really gives a crap about what you look like. There is, for sure, 8,000 other things on people’s minds other than thinking ‘oh gosh did you see her without any makeup on/wearing sweatpants/with her clearly unbrushed hair today?’ You do you, girlfriend. We’re all in the same boat.
- Think of the light at the end of the tunnel. There is no better motivator than the thought of days and/or nights free of homework. The thought of coming home after work and being able to relax on the sofa and watch TV or read a book makes me so excited, I may as well be jumping up and down right now.
What are some ways you get through the dreaded finals week?
P.S. Good luck everyone! xoxo.